Skip to Content Request Info

Sexual Misconduct Policy

Policy Statement:

Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1681, et seq. and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, including Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence, in University programs and activities.  In enacting this procedure the University also references and relies on definitions and its legal obligations under the Violence Against Women Act, including the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, 42 U. S. C. § 13925, Section 304.  The University Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedure provides information for members of the University community regarding how to report incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence, including domestic violence, dating (intimate partner) violence, stalking, how the University handles and investigates such incidents, and other information and resources for those impacted by sexual harassment or sexual violence. The University’s policies prohibiting sexual harassment and discrimination and this procedure shall apply to any allegation of sexual harassment against any member of the University community, including those visiting our campuses.

Carrie Stevens, Title IX Coordinator
Director of Compliance
1001 South Cedar Street
Ottawa, KS  66067

You may file a complaint by contacting the Title IX Coordinator, Carrie Stevens, at 785-248-2326 or You may also file a complaint online through an external company, which may be done anonymously if you choose, at or by calling 844-719-2846.

Rights and Options after Filing a Complaint of Sexual Violence,
Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, or Stalking

The following information provides a short summary of your rights and options after filing a complaint of sexual violence (including sexual assault), domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking under the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy.

  1. General Information
    • It is extremely important that you preserve evidence as it may be necessary to prove the complaint you are making or needed to obtain a protection order or prosecute a crime. In the case of physical violence, including sexual violence, domestic violence, and dating violence, you should go directly to the emergency room and should not bathe, urinate, douche, brush teeth, drink liquids, or change clothes until after you are examined and, if necessary, a rape examination is completed. Evidence of stalking may take other forms (for example, texts and emails from the perpetrator) but it is important to preserve this evidence as well.
    • Once you have made a complaint, you have several options, including, but not limited to:
      • Contacting parents or a relative
      • Seeking legal advice
      • Seeking personal counseling
      • Pursing legal action against the perpetrator
      • Pursing disciplinary action
      • Requesting that no further action be taken
    • If requested, the Title IX will assist you in contacting campus police or local law enforcement regarding the incident. You may decline to notify such authorities.
    • If you have obtained a temporary restraining order or other no contact order against the alleged perpetrator from a criminal, civil, or tribal court, please provide such information to the Title IX Coordinator. The University will take all reasonable and legal action to implement the order.
  1. Institutional Procedures
    • The procedures found in the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy are used for complaints of sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. These procedures can be located at [insert link] and they:
      • Will provide a prompt, fair, and impartial resolution of your complaint.
      • Are carried out by University officials who have received training on these issues and how to conduct an investigation that promotes safety and accountability.
      • Provide you and the accused the right to have a support person/advisor of your choice accompany you to all aspects of the investigation and resolution process. The support person/advisor may not advocate on your behalf during University proceedings like an attorney would in court and he or she must agree to maintain the confidentiality of the process.
      • Ensure that both you and the accused will be notified simultaneously in writing of the outcome of all stages of the process, including any appeals.
      • Prohibit retaliation by the accused or anyone else against you for making a complaint or against anyone else that assisted you in making the complaint or cooperates in the University’s investigation.
  1. Possible Sanctions or Protective Measures
    • Interim Measures: At any time during the investigation, the Title IX Coordinator may impose interim remedies or protections for the parties or witnesses. These may include separating the parties, placing limitations on contact between the parties, suspension, or making alternative living, class-placement, or workplace arrangements.
    • Sanctions: If there is a finding that a violation has occurred, sanctions may include: no-contact orders, classroom reassignment, the provision of counseling or other support services, training, and other disciplinary sanctions, up to and including suspension or termination.
  1. Confidentiality
    • If you request confidentiality or ask that a complaint not be investigated, the University will take reasonable steps to investigate and respond to the complaint consistent with the request. However, the University’s ability to respond may be limited in such cases, and the University may not be able to grant such a request when the accused poses a continuing threat to the University Community.
    • If you wish to discuss an incident with complete confidentiality, you can contact a confidential resource who will maintain confidentiality and not forward the information regarding your situation to the University for investigation without your consent (unless required to do so by law). Contact information for the University’s confidential resources is as follows:
      • For counseling, contact Counseling Services at 785-248-2317. For a meeting with a medical professional, contact Health Services at 785-248-2319.
  1. Options for Changing your Current Situation
    • Pending final outcome of an investigation, you may be allowed to change your academic, living, transportation, or work situation if options to do so are reasonably available. Upon your request, the University will work with you on such changes. This may occur regardless of whether you choose to make a complaint to campus security or local law enforcement.
  1. Resources Available
Annual Safety and Security Reports

Please click on the links below to access the most recent Annual Security Reports for each of the Ottawa University campus locations.

If you need help, please reach out to one of the following resources. Please don't suffer in silence when help is only a phone call away.

Back to top