The Blackboard Annotate tool, which professors use to view and grade documents attached to assignments, occasionally removes formatting from documents when the instructor views them. This issue is the result of Microsoft Word .docx files not including fonts that are embedded in the document by default when the document is saved. Without those fonts available, Bb Annotate has to use a font that is available to it from your browser, which may be a different size or style. This then causes your document to appear to be incorrectly formatted when viewed within the Annotate grading window.
What can be done about this?
You have two options:
- Save your file as a PDF (which will automatically embed all of the fonts you used in your document).
- Embed the fonts in your Word file as described below:
How to ensure that all fonts are embedded in your Word (.docx) file:
With your document open in Word:
- Click File > Save As
- Click Tools
- Click Save Options
- Under Preserve fidelity when sharing this document:
- choose Embed fonts in the file and
- uncheck Do not embed common system fonts
More detailed directions may be found in this document on How to Embed Fonts.